How To Fix A Leaky Sink
Want to know how to fix a leaky sink or a dripping faucet? Then you’ve come to the right place!
Meticulous Plumbing is your do-it-all plumbing expert for Portland, Oregon. We’ve been in the plumbing business for a long time now, and we can diagnose and solve any and every plumbing problem you might have — big or small. Get in touch with us today with any questions.
A Quick Word or Two About Home Repairs
Whenever we write a “how-to” plumbing blog like this one, we usually start with a suggestion:
If you have any hesitation whatsoever about performing your own plumbing work, then it’s probably better to leave it to an expert.
Even quote-unquote “basic” jobs, such as fixing a leaky sink, can quickly turn into a disaster without an experienced hand on hand to walk you through it.
So, once again, please call Meticulous Plumbing with any questions.
If you’re still reading, then we’re going to assume you are a confident plumbing hand yourself — or at least are someone just interested in the subject, even if you don’t plan to do the work yourself.
Let’s get to it!
Fixing A Leaky Sink
- Make sure you have the proper tools. For this job, that typically means:
- Wrench and screwdriver
- Replacement O-ring
- Replacement washers
- Shut off the water to the tap.
- Determine what type of faucet you have (e.g., compression or cartridge).
- If you must replace a part, make sure the replacement part is an exact match.
- Remove the sink’s decorative knobs.
- Remove the faucet handle from its stem.
- Loosen the packing unit.
- Inspect the O-ring and determine if it needs to be replaced.
- Remove the washer and put a replacement O-ring inside the seat.
- If the O-ring is functional, take the faucet apart until you find the faulty piece.
- Remember to coat any replacement pieces in plumber’s grease.
- Reassemble in this order:
- Packing nut
Finally, turn the water back on and give it a test run.
Quick note: If it’s the sink itself that’s leaking (i.e., not the sink faucet), then you’ll probably need to repair or replace the sink itself.
Need to chat? Contact the Portland plumbing experts at Meticulous to help resolve any and all problems.