Keep on top of the maintenance of your laundry room plumbing and you’ll save yourself frustration, money and time. By taking care of problems early, you’ll nip trouble in the bud and may be able to avoid costly and involved repairs. It takes just a handful of simple procedures to ensure your pipes, tanks and fittings are in good working order. The following are tips to keep your laundry room plumbing in tip-top shape.
Make a List, Check It Twice
Your washing machine is one of the most important appliances in your home. There’s more plumbing than meets the eye on most machines. Making sure the hoses are securely connected to the water main is the most obvious task in preventative maintenance. Here are a few more things to check regularly to ensure your machine is ready to take on your family’s dirty laundry.
- Inspect your washing machine for signs of wear, including loose joints and leaks.
- Check exposed pipes under the drain sink for signs of leaks.
- Pour a bucket of water down the drain to keep the trap seal full.
- Check the temperature setting of your water heater to make sure it’s not over 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Check for puddles on the floor. Try to find the source of the water. You could have a leaking water heater, or there could be a problem with your washing machine.
Give Your Laundry Room an Environmentally Friendly Makeover
Energy conservation is good for your budget and helps the environment. With more efficient appliances and practices, you’ll cut down on energy use and lower your power and water bills. These are a few of the simple steps you can take to reduce waste in your laundry room.
- Replace rubber hoses with stainless steel braided hoses that last longer and are resistant to leaking and cracking.
- Install strainers on your washing machine hoses and drains to keep hair and debris from entering or clogging your drain lines. Physical barriers are effective and don’t require harsh chemicals.
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations when choosing laundry detergent for the washing machine. High-efficiency machines often use a concentrated formula that can cut down on how often you need to buy soap.
- Consider replacing your washing machine with an up-to-date, front-load model. Choose a high-efficiency model for the most savings.
- Consider replacing your dryer, too. Dryers use a lot of energy so it’s important to have a an energy-efficienct model.
Being Diligent Pays Off
Be conscientious about maintenance and you’ll reduce the risk of problems down the road. With well-maintained plumbing and appliances, you can focus on getting your laundry clean instead of worrying about the pipes.
Meticulous Plumbing can help you with any of your plumbing needs. If you’d like to replace any of your appliances with new, high-efficiency models, contact us or give us a call: 503.208.2812